Background to the programme
Action launched as part of " Climate Cities Month in the Metz Urban Area" aimed at informing individuals about energy efficiency.
Objectives of the programme
- Raising awareness of eco-energy.
- To make the public aware of the existence and work of ALEC in the Metz region.
- Spreading the word in local leaflets and the regional press in order to recruit hosts as well as people coming to the agency . Equally, distributing leaflets in the Metz urban area and in the local bus network.
- A special group of 10 to 15 friends/neighbours/colleagues to organise a gathering around the theme of energy (3 themes: heating and water, electricity, air quality). Nibbles provided by the Metz city council.
- Make an adviser available to lead the discussion and answer questions.
- The distribution of a booklet on the energy efficiency of each participant.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- 2012: more than 200 participants
- 2012: 150 participants
On the whole the feedback has been very positive. Another program which goes into more depth should be set up following on from this one.
Original method of making people aware thanks to the convivial and informal dimension which improves the receptivity of people to messages and allows them to approach a theme to which they may not go to otherwise. The usage of "hosts" as relays of invitation allows in effect to touch a public which does not necessarily know about ALEC of Messin. A first successful presentation can be the trigger for action.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
- Communities in the Metz Urban Area: in terms of communication, the circulating of the community leaflet, a poster campaign in Metz, the designing and printing of booklets, the buying of tools and nibbles, a financial contribution to the post of ENERGY-INFO adviser who organised the gatherings.
- ADEME: finance.
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- Recruiting hosts.
- Certain moments in the year are less successful than others in terms of people's participation.
- The unusual working hours of the advisers. (the gatherings often take place in the evening);
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
- Put in place a system to publicise the program so as to encourage people to become hosts.
- Make a good choice when selecting the period and the hours of the program in order to guarantee the success of the process.
- Rearrange the working hours of the the advisers.
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- To develop the tools of communication: hand out flyers for the presentation, explanatory notes for the hosts, practical notebooks.
- A playful workshop, the importance of friendliness.