Background to the programme
COJOB was founded in January 2014 by two friends, young graduates looking for jobs. They started with a simple observation: many young graduates (29,000 in Paris) however competent and determined, can be quickly discouraged by a long job search and enter "the vicious circle of unemployment": isolation, loss of confidence in themselves, unstable search, remoteness from the labour market etc. It was to enable these young "jobeurs" to continue their job search and to remain active that Clementine Marie created the association.
Objectives of the programme
- The general objective is to make the job search period sociable, active and more positive to allow Jobeurs to live better and thus promote access or return to employment.
- The activities of the organisation are based on three cornerstones: the framework (a rhythm, a place in daily life), the group (bring together Jobeurs of all profiles, of all origins) and the action (continue to make use of these skills)
Every month, COJOB welcomes a dozen Jobeurs on a full-time basis at its premises. For four weeks they split their time between themed group workshops (eg. how to make use of their network) with challenges that young people set each other (eg. contact 3 people a week), individual research time and Services from the Solidarity Services (activities carried out voluntarily by 1 or 2 jobeurs, using the COJOB premises to make use of their abilities to the benefit of an association or a small business (eg a young designer creates a brochure for an entrepreneur))
After work events organised by the Promos once a month for jobeurs and business associates, associations ... to share an enjoyable moment together
Social networking platform to create job search groups (launching at the moment). On the same principle as "Blabla car", every job searcher can propose or join a group for one, two or three weeks in their neighbourhood or in the city. Each group organises meetings to exchange experience, time to search together (in cafes, libraries, at the partner organisations), challenges within networks, activities.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- In October 2014: 110 jobeurs in Promos, 74% were returners to employment
- Former jobeurs and Golden jobeurs (Jobeurs who have found a job) come back for a monthly "work drink" organised by the association to create a network, proof of a real link created between jobeurs.
- The "welfare" and morale of the Jobeurs goes from 2/10 before the Promo to 8/10 after the Promo. 100% are satisfied with this month
Unlike other associations, COJOB doesn’t have the objective of finding work for jobeurs but does allow them to keep their morale up, build friendships and gain confidence - to change a few details of their daily life to play down the drama of the job search. It’s a new form of job search: collaborative and between peers (to allow everyone to give advice to each other and to feel useful and valued). Moreover, it’s one of the few associations that deals with young people who are experienced graduates with no link to discrimination issues.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
The IDF Workshop, MDEE (House of Enterprise and Employment in the 14th arrondissement), Solidarité Nouvelle face au Chômage, many Maisons des Associations in Paris, CIDJ, Institut de l’Engagement etc.
Ile de France, TOTAL, Accenture, KPMG, Mairie de Paris, Banque Populaire Rives de Paris, Boutique de Gestion pour Entreprendre
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- Finding premises was an obstacle to launching the association
- Initial funds
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
- The two founders have sought to diversify funding by searching public and private domains and approaching foundations
- Rent space for premises at first
Suggestions for future improvement :
- The search for partnerships is a possible way to improve in order to find services from solidarity services (the volunteer services that give back to jobeurs) more easily and quickly.
- Move towards self-financing
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Take an interest in a segment of the population who are often forgotten (young graduates)
- To have made the choice to adapt to this particular population by moving away from a supportive approach and promote stimulation and motivation
- Leave room for each person to help someone else: collaboration is an essential element in the programme