Background to the programme
Each year, 17 million tons of perfectly edible produce is not consumed for purely aesthetic reasons. To fight against this state of affairs, Nicolas Chabanne wanted to reassert the value of some of these products among consumers by creating the "Gueules Cassées" brand.
Objectives of the programme
The objective of the company is above all to fight against waste by promoting low grade products which show blemishes or are too small size to be sold in so-called "classic" distribution circuits. The other objective of this revaluation is to enable "Gueules Cassées" produce to be sold at lower prices.
- A large label which reads "What's wrong with me? Fruits & Vegetables, less pretty but delicious!" to promote these substandard products.
- An association with the "Variété Gustative" (Tasty Varieties) label which highlights products that, through their natural qualities, are particularly tasty and flavoursome.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- The initiative has received large media interest: reports on JT at 13h on France 2, M6, TF1, RMC, in the newspapers "Le Parisien", "le Point", "l'Express", "Les Echos", " Le Figaro ; on the radio with France Info, Europe 1, France Inter.
- More than 1,500 shops distribute the brand.
- The consumer is at the root of the creation of the product: everything is done for them.
- Showcase and sell products normally intended to be discarded.
- Alliance with the " Variété Gustative " label to highlight products that are particularly tasty.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
Ministry for Agriculture, Farm produce and Forestry
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- The administrative framework is difficult to adapt to new types of products.
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
- Evolve the administrative framework by lobbying the government
Suggestions for future improvement :
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Coming from consumer desires: because of this, there is no need for communication and marketing to convince people to buy it.
- Normally a brand buys from all the producers to centralise the product and then fixes the label on the package before finally sending it to the distributor. This takes time. Here, the producer directly buys the sticker and puts it on the product himself which makes it go much faster.
Ideas for basic or applied research topics, that could be useful to the programme :
To what extent is the consumer ready to change the legislative framework on fruits and vegetables?
To know more
The Gueules Cassées program now extends to other products: http://blog.lesgueulescassees.org/lancement-de-la-marque-antigaspi-camembert-et-cereales/