Background to the programme
The local association Culture Arts Society Production (CAS Production) supports social diversity and the diversity of cultural and artistic practices. It considers clothing to be a means of communication and thus created a second-hand shop, Fripouille, in which associative activities are developed.
Objectives of the programme
Create social ties but in particular: to break economic / cultural / social barriers, to enrich common heritage, to give a meeting place for women, to empower, to promote well-being and to create synergies with other associations or services in the city.
- December 3, 2011: first festive sale (auction of clothing "Storytellers")
- February 2013: Opening of the "Fripouille" in a premises shared with a municipal department "Local democracy and neighbourhood life"
- CAS Production receives donations (clothes, books, dishes, DVD, etc.) and sorts through them. Whatever is sellable is put in the second hand shop at a low price (50cent to €10) and whatever is damaged is redistributed to other associations (Villa Mais D'Ici collects broken toys to use in its work).
- Weekly market in the city centre: presentation of actions, communication, sales
- After 3 months of volunteering, volunteers (people alienated from society, seniors, newcomers, undocumented migrants) benefit from a credit system (5 € per half day, € 8 per day) to buy goods at the second hand shop
- Children: workshops for creative hobbies and a toy exchange. Adults: exchange of knowledge, sharing
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- Volunteering has allowed some people to discover their talents and make use of them (sales, IT)
- 6 tons of donations received and sold or passed on (only 18kg thrown away). Better quality donations over the years
- 13 000 beneficiaries (sales as the second hand shop, full workshops for creative hobbies and workshops for children)
- Conviviality and sense of belonging: well-being and validation of volunteers and customers / clients
- Neighbourhood energised: creation of a family cafe opposite the Fripouille (8 months after opening)
- The public is empowered and educated on ecology thanks to volunteers, donations and recycling.
- The team have improved the social economy and waste management.
CAS Production relies on the revenue and the premises of the Fripouille to develop its associative project. It acts in the fields of both society and ecology.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
Cultural, linguistic, culinary or creative associations, Aubervilliers Town Hall and the agglomeration
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- Difficult to collaborate when sharing the premises due to a lack of space (impossible to set up a communal table to read, discuss, share knowledge)
- A large recycling project (recovery, assessment and resale of objects) will be developed by the municipality; the fripouille therefore fears that it will disappear without its sorting and recycling activities.
Suggestions for future improvement :
- Concerning the recycling project: create a collaboration between associations (ecology, recycling, reuse) or join in with it
- Have larger premises to be able to store and sort objects, prepare workshops and to have an office
- Transfer the concept of Fripouille to other communities in the agglomeration
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- A second hand shop open to everyone (people with and without financial difficulties), therefore a mixture / diversity
- The fact it isn't free enables participation in the life of the city. The concept of "choice" is essential for people with low incomes
- The multidisciplinary nature of the project manager and the premises
- Showing people artistic beauty (the quality of goods sold, beauty of the place)
- Development of the skills of the employees and volunteers (sales, customer relations, etc.)
- For an optimum performance, the ideal is: 1/3 donations and volunteer, 1/3 grants, 1/3 benefits
- A minimum of two coordinators since the program launched
- To make an assessment of the area before transposing this program as the characteristics of Aubervilliers are unique (newly arrived immigrants, unemployment rate and significant number of female single parents, etc.)
To know more
The Fripouille boutique is located at 12 rue Paul Bert, 93300 Aubervilliers.