Background to the programme
In 2003, the FILAFIL association was set up in the Moulins area to compensate for a lack of entertainment in the disadvantaged area of ilot Fontenoy-Filature. Its main mission is to create social ties and promote a more sociable lifestyle by offering various activities (outings, workshops, cooking, knitting, cycling, circus workshops ...) to a diverse public (families, children and old people). During these activities, the members gradually form a relationship of trust with the participants who can share their problems or seek help. The needs expressed by people have driven the development of a mediation initiative.
Objectives of the programme
- Facilitate access to rights
- Efficiently guide people to partners
- Improve the living conditions of Filafil users
- Make individuals independent
- Boost the partnership, forge links between partners
* Spontaneous requests: the members of the association are solicited during the activities. No contact point is organised to receive requests.
* Informal Procedure: discussion of the situation with the individual applicant in order to conduct an assessment of the problems encountered and then to guide the individual towards a competent institution.
- This initiative can for example promote the link between social services.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
VIS-A-VIS THE BENEFICIARIES:
VIS-A-VIS THE INSTITUTIONS :
- Recognition: Balance sheet analysis submitted by the association
- Alerts for problems observed by members of the association
- Facilitating the work of professionals thanks to the proximity of Filafil members to the families
This mediation is organised informally and is done outside of the association's activities. However, it runs regularly.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
Territorial Unit of Prevention and Social Action (UTPAS), prevention club, schools involved in school support, the neighbourhood council (social service), Association for the Management of Specialist Services of the Departmental Union of Family Associations (AGSS of UDAF, budget management).
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- Perverse effect of the informal nature of the initiative: lack of official recognition
- The influx of requests has underlined a lack of human and financial support as well as the lack of a representative to facilitate the mediation and networking with partners and institutions
Suggestions for future improvement :
- Register as a specific measure to receive official recognition from institutions
- Recruit a representative in charge of facilitating networking with partners, who is focussed on listening to and mediating with families. Respond to a call for projects by the CAF (public and regional) to fund a full-time "job in the future".
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Place of the individual: each process is carried out with the full participation of the individual. Every decision is taken with their consent. The individual is not perceived as a user but as a central player in the process.
Don’t see the public as users but as whole people. We must take action with individuals and not in their place. The action fully involves the individual concerned in the decisions and the process.
- Designing the mediation: don’t replace the work of the institutions but put them in touch with each other. This is a cooperation between partners, families and the association.
- Listening and availability