Background to the programme
To prevent failure and disengagement in school and to promote the social and professional integration of youths, FRance Benevolat has developed, since 2013, a specific range of its program Solidages 21: Intergenerational actions for school succes (AIRE 21). These actions involve all the actors: teachers; Job Services, territorial collectives and social actors, associations and companies.
Objectives of the programme
- To put young people at the heart of the process through their ability to elaborate useful social projects and implement them.
- To position the associations and the volunteers/sponsors as organisations to carry out these projects.
- To recognise these youths and give them back their confidence in themselves, in particular through the recognition of skills acquired (utilisation of the Benevolat Passport)
- To convince companies to open their doors to young people which will have demonstrated the proof of their motivation and initial skills acquired and validated.
- Actions ongoing in twenty territories centred on to priority targets:
= The schools (professional schools but equally schools of general teaching disposed to set up projects of active pedagogy)
= Local Missions, in particular those which are the object of governmental experimentation "Youth guarantee":
- Mobilisation of many local actors, especially association joined with France Benevolat.
- Process of pre-qualification or qualification by the associations and the volunteers/sponsors in view to develop "experiential skills".
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- For 2014: 30 territories labelled, spread over 13 regions, with at least 50 operational projects involving 1500 young people. These objectives for the whole of 2014 were achieved by the end of June.
- Precise monitoring by local boards.
- Permanent evaluation apparatus integrated in the methodology developed for the program.
- Positive regard towards young people and develop their confidence.
The innovative character is in the change of posture and of the roles of all the actors who are sought. The youths are at the heart of the process: the actions are not done for the, but with them. The associations are places of pre-qualification and education of the citizen.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
SNCF Foundation, Group AG2R La Mondiale, Cooperative Credit Foundation, Deposits and Membership, Regional Council of Ile-de-France, General Council of Bouches du Rhône, City Council of Paris, National Union of Local Missions (UNML), Moderniser Without Exclusion (MSE Sud), National Union of Associations of Local Sponsors (UNAPP), Generations and culture, National Network of Associations (RNMA), Collective Territorial Integration Companies (ECTI), Apprentis of Auteuil, School Mutual Assistance, Tool in hand, Understanding of Generations for Jobs and Companies (EGEE), Association of the Student Foundation for the City (AFEV)
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
Long start up time to "set up" each territory and needing specific know-how.
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
Essentially "pedagogic actors" therefore a mixture of beliefs, "reassuring" methods and exchanges of experience starting from the more advanced territories.
Suggestions for future improvement :
- To recognise the study in advance "assessment of understanding of school disengagement" completed for December 2013 which consists of a large amount of work on capitalisation and popularisation.
- Another study circulated in October 2014 on the place of volunteering in supporting young people (necessary to reflect quantitatively and qualitatively on "the sponsor")
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- General mobilisation of actors, territory by territory
- Very structured methodology which has a mission to become "industrial" after the experimentation phase which must still be developed in 2014.
- End of 2014, we will have sufficient feedback from the experiences. The methods and tools are largely validated. The generalisation of "The Youth Guarantee" should be an important carrier of the message...as much as for France Benevolat has sufficient means (at least double the actual amount).
Ideas for basic or applied research topics, that could be useful to the programme :
- To clarify the respective roles of the volunteers and the employees in the associations, the educational establishments and the integration organisations.
- To clarify the different types of of skills for the volunteers/sponsors (in progress)
- To continue to work on the concept of "experiential competence"...which is not in the French culture, trained by academic competence.
DERET Evelyne « Bilan de connaissances sur le décrochage scolaire » (Etude France Bénévolat, 24 pages, contenant elle-même de nombreuses références bibliographiques
Hervé Sérieyx/Dominique Thierry « Générations placard ou générations espoir ? Jeunes et seniors, même combat » (Maxima Nov. 2012)
To know more