Background to the programme
Faced with the emergence of physical trouble, the family is confronted with the the unpredictability and the incongruity of the sickness. The European Federation of Associations of Family with Physical Disability (EUFAMI) has therefore decided to propose to the National Union of Friends and Families of the Physically Disabled (UNAFAM) to develop the Prospect workshops within their departmental delegations which are called "Family Prospects" to encourage those close to illness to come out of their isolation.
Objectives of the programme
- To make the participants aware of the impact of the sickness on those close to the person and on their own physical and mental health.
- To show that they are also in control of the situation as they have accumulated knowledge and can help professionals as they know the sick person.
- To develop their own prospects for the future.
In groups of 10 to 12 people, the participants exchange their experience, expressing the difficulties they have met. The "Prospect Family Workshop" lasts 20 hours and consists of 10 modules, divided into one or two sessions. These workshops are always lead by two active volunteers of UNAFAM who are concerned by the physical disability of a close one.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
The friends and family arrive beforehand and meet without the sick person (having left on holiday for example). This create a real network between the families of the sick and therefore come out of their isolation. Finally, the fact that they no longer feel like a victim of the sickness of their family or friend gives them more self-esteem (through the understanding of their know-ho and of the value of their experience in giving aid).
The help comes from the help of other people since all the participants and volunteers are capable of understanding the situation and emotions expressed by the participants in the course of the workshop.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
- A national team from Prospect Family coordinates and supports the leaders who are involved in the training from within UNAFM.
- A partnership with an entity which loans the building.
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- To find leaders and to organise the teams.
- To involve the "right families" at the right moment when they accept they have to listen and open up.
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
Training for the leaders and preparation work with them so that they can share communal experiences.
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Trained volunteers concerned by the illness.
- Active participants.
- A workshop made up of different modules which cross several themes.