Background to the programme
The STARTER association was born from the desire of a neighbourhood centre in Lille to differentiate its integration activities for an adult audience. In the beginning (1996), its activities focused on the integration of RSA recipients with the workforce. Today, Starter offers a range of actions responding to all kinds of social needs in a way to that allows comprehensive support of the people.
Objectives of the programme
- Work on the obstacles to employment
- Enable individuals to be autonomous
- Set up social support for people in difficulty
- Guidance for RSA recipients by social workers
- Facilitation of various activities: personalised support for employment, computer classes, cooking lessons, French lessons, organisation of neighbourhood events, free speech groups, administrative contact points, group outings, exchange of know-how, space for parenting ...
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- About a hundred people attend each year
- Recognition at the local level:
> It was commissioned in 2015 by a landlord to conduct a survey of residents in the neighbourhood.
> It is well recognised by the population: sometimes called upon to exercise the
role of mediator between landlords and tenants or between neighbours.
In order to find the taste and the desire to fit in, Starter offers comprehensive support to the people admitted by focusing on the human dimension, especially through the involvement of beneficiaries in various activities.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
Fondation de France, Assurance Maladie, Lille Association le Fond de Participation des habitants, Solidarité Informatique (association that collects recycled computers), a group of farmers in Nord Pas-de-Calais (to sell vegetable baskets), Council General and La Deûle (Association makes sports teachers available) ...
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
- Mobility of people because of financial obstacles
- Financing of the association on an annual basis: search for new funding each year
Suggestions for future improvement :
- Open up to all audiences in order to promote a social mix with meetings and sharing with others
- Draw inspiration from the results of the survey to design new activities
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Strong local presence
- Engaging beneficiaries: each of them can become volunteers regardless of their situation