Background to the programme
The urban community of Brest Metropole had the desire to support the attainment of objectives in terms of energy efficiency and renovation in the framework of its Climate Plan. Some support for private individuals already existed but it was fragmented. Some reflection lead to proposing a complete service which supports people from A to Z through the process. This desire for local support has been encouraged at the national level with the appearance of the program Live Better from the national housing agency (ANAH) and the reports in the media of problems of energy poverty.
Objectives of the programme
- In the framework of the Climate Plan: to increase the number of renovations with 1000 houses per year and 500 co-owned properties in the operational framework of Tinergie. The objective is to support 300 houses from A to Z from 2016.
- Since opening in 1998, Ener'gence, the local agency for energy and climate, has aimed to support private individuals and collectives from Pays de Brest on the question of energy and to be a free resource. The objective of Brest Metropole in backing Ener'gence and its counsellors at Energy Info Space, is to take advantage of this service for households and to increase its reach. The poorest members of the public who are eligible for ANAH help, are monitored by PACT H&D.
- To propose this service to the entire territory: the measures concern the territory of the urban community by preserving the possibility that the tool's application can be extended.
- Numerical objectives for energy savings: to aim to achieve a 38% decrease in energy consumption.
- Communication and registration: targeted communication has been carried out at two main times around the living conferences (press, bus shelters)
- Support measures for the work - Tinergie, follow-up care personalised by Ener'gence:
*Energy assessment of the home carried out by an assessor referenced by Brest Metropole Ocean.
*Creation of the work program
*Establish relationships with building professionals through the web platform www.tinergie-brest.fr
*Assembly of the aid dossier Tinergie, based on the recuperation of energy saving certificates by the collective, and then improved.
*Information on the other existing financial aid packages.
*Response to questions on individuals supported: experts on estimates.
*Assessment after the work.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- Information and advice for individuals: 800 contacts in 2013
- The Tinergie work projects in progress:
*120 ANAH cases financed.
*100 standard cases taken on.
*Energy gains (between the assessment before and after the work): 60% of cases achieved 38% of energy savings in the standard cases. For the cases eligible for ANAH, they all achieved 38% in projected consumption.
*Average cost of work: €20 000 for standard and €14 000 for the cases eligible for ANAH.
- The plan was rewarded with the grand jury prize for platforms which supports renovation. It made it known on the national level.
- The setting up of a network of artisans and assessors, put together according to the skills of local professionals in partnership with FFB, CAPEB and CMA. At the end of 2013: 60 artisans and building companies, 10 partnered assessors and qualified and referenced design offices.
Tinergie offers the possibility of supporting people throughout their entire project. The service is free to the households apart from the initial assessment. It's a neutral service which enables relationships with building professionals without conflicts of interest and which simply offers support with the decision and the understanding of a complex area which is difficult for individuals to understand. The web platform enables a relationship between individuals and business and also,for the individual, a personal space where they can follow their project.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
Ener'gence, urban community of artisans, operators ANAH and PACT H&D, ADIL, FFB, CAPEB, ADEME, Region in the context of supporting the Info Energy Space with the increase in contacts thanks to Tinergie.
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
The principal obstacle is to successfully find finance to implement everything: they are long and difficult cases to work with. In terms of continuing, the problem is worse now that the program is better known and the demand is bigger. The equilibrium is difficult to find between the distribution of finances and the need for human resources for the treatment of the cases, which is rarely taken into account. Otherwise the recuperation of energy saving certificates from individuals is particularly tiresome.
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
Respond to calls for regional projects for finance. For CCE, to make individuals responsible for obtaining the administrative documents for the companies.
Suggestions for future improvement :
- Expanding to co-owned properties (in the process of happening)
- Enlargement of the geographic perimeter according to the wishes of the neighbouring communities.
- Set up a network with banks and estate agents: to target individuals in the process of buying.
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Complete and personalised follow up: more positive feedback for EIE when it is punctual; the quality of the feedback increases satisfaction and word of mouth.
- Brest metropole is an innovator and is therefore highlighted by the media and the other collectives, aided this renowned region.
- To control and not to neglect the guiding and assembly step of the project which is indispensable to the viability of the operation, notably the distribution of Human Resources and times consecrated to the treatment and follow up of the cases. There is a minimum of human hours needed for such a package (within the collective, follow up by ANAH, follow up outside of ANAH).
- The political help is vital for a project at this level.