Background to the programme
Created in 2004, the Association Visemploi is based on the conviction that a regular exchange between a job seeker and a helper greatly contributes to a return to work. Currently, support and mentor organisations that aim to end the loneliness of job seekers are present in 9 areas (Paris Centre, Paris 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th arrondissements, Boulogne, Bondy, Villemomble and Nogent).
Objectives of the programme
- Facilitate the return to work or training
- Support job seekers throughout the process
Services offered by volunteers, free and open to all:
1) Welcome centre: guiding of job seekers (eg. Paris contact points in 15th arrondissement, 10:00-12:00 Saturdays, at 11 rue Bausset)
- Mentoring: individual support over the long term (periodic interviews)
- Training cycle: 2.5h sessions. Themes of the job search workshops: write a CV, write a covering letter, assess your skills, develop your network, define your career plan, prepare an interview ...
- Redirection to another more suitable association if they have specific needs (social difficulties: health, papers, housing ...)
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- 2012: 200 people received, including 64 mentored, 117 workshop participants and 63% positive outcomes
- 2013: 210 people received, including 66 mentored, 136 workshop participants and 68% positive outcomes
- 2014: 250 people received including 86 mentored, 125 workshop participants and 66% positive outcomes (including 44% temporary contracts, 30% permanent contracts, 10% training and 7% creating a business)
- Feedback of people supported: overall satisfaction (many positive testimonials, frequently mentioning the relationship of trust)
- One hundred volunteer members trained in-house in how to form a supportive relationship
- Approximately 20% of the volunteers of the association are both helper and mentor
- "Mentor organisation for employment" label from the DIRECCTE
The Visemploi support is based on mutual commitment from the mentors and the mentees. Together they build the process of looking for a job by formalising the expectations, the objectives, and the project according to a proactive and responsible approach. The job search is active: the mentors do not take steps in the place of the applicants. Participation in the workshops that correspond to the supported person’s situation is compulsory, it is an integral part of the support.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
- Public institutions: Regional Department of Enterprise, Competition, Consumption, Labour and Employment in Ile-de-France (IDF DIRECCTE), CERISE Social Centre in the 2nd arrondissement, Employment Office of the 6th, 9th, and 15th town hall, Town halls of Nogent-sur-Marne (94), Villemonble (93) and Bondy (93)
- Associations: Solidarités Nouvelles face au Chômage (SNC), Club Cadres en Recherche d’Emploi (CCRE), SFX Emploi, Comité Chrétien de Solidarité avec les Chômeurs et les précaires (CCSC), Accueil et Orientation des Demandeurs d’Emploi (AODE), Association ELEUTHEROS, Alliance Solidarité du 15e arrondissement et Le Grain de Sel
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- Combine the individual support of mentorship and the group support of workshops to address all aspects of the job search
- Gradual and continuous process: support does not have a time limit
- General Organisation of Visemploi: Board + team leaders + cross-disciplinary activity managers (as in workshops, job search and monitoring of teams)
- Composition of neighbourhood teams: welcome teams + mentors + 1 coordinator (+ sometimes resource people who provide occasional assistance in their area of expertise)
- Job Search Workshops: Free and open to all
- The Visemploi network generates job offers that can benefit claimants.
> Recruitment criteria: people who have an awareness of unemployment and
social exclusion that, having enough free time, comes from experience of the world of work and skills in job search techniques
> Mandatory training provided by a psychologist from Visemploi